133.5g dried figs, chopped and soaked in 125ml orange juice for 30 min. 43.5g sugar 3.5ml (1 tsp) salt 7g (1 sachet) instant yeast 5ml (1 ½ tsp) cinnamon 3.5ml (1 tsp) mixed spice 3.5ml (1 tsp) aniseed grated zest of 2 oranges grated zest of 2 lemons 513.5g bread flour 280ml lukewarm milk 67g Flora, melted 1egg, lightly whisked For the Cross-paste: 50ml bread flour 43.5ml (¼ cup) water 2ml (½ tsp) sunflower oil Egg wash ( 1 egg and a pinch of salt whisked together) Glaze: 43.5ml (¼ cup) sugar 43.5ml (¼ cup) water 2ml (½ tsp) mixed spice
Preparation (for 18 portion) for
HOT CROSS BUNS WITH ORANGE ZEST AND DRIED FIGS
- Use a mixer with a dough-hook. Drain the figs from the orange juice. Place the figs in the mixing bowl together with the sugar, yeast, cinnamon, mixed spice, aniseed, orange zest, lemon zest and bread flour.
- Mix the milk, Flora and egg together in a medium bowl, add to the flour mixture in a slow steady stream while mixing with the dough hook. Mix for 10 min. or until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover the bowl, set aside to rise for 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
- Knead the dough for 1 min. roll out 18 buns. Pack the buns in a circle on the baking tray, keeping 1 cm space between the buns. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and set aside for 30 min.
- Combine the bread flour, water and sunflower oil until smooth.
- Place in a piping bag and pipe a cross onto each bun.
- Brush the buns with egg wash and bake in the oven for 15-20 min. or until golden brown and cooked.
- Combine the sugar, water and mixed spice together in a small saucepan. Cook for 1 min.
- Brush the buns with the glaze after they come out of the oven.