200g baby spinach, extra for serving 75g garlic (roughly 1/5 heads ) 500g potatoes 1 egg yolk 150g flour 3 tbsp Flora Gold 10ml lemon juice 1kg tomato handful of thyme sprigs 10g basil leaves 2 tsp Salt 1 tsp Pepper 25g parmesan/ pecorino for serving
Preparation for 4 people
Spinach gnocchi with herby tomato sauce
- Place the potatoes in the airfryer/ oven to dry roast for 30-45 minutes at 180C or until soft.
- While the potatoes are roasting, place ½ head of garlic and 100g spinach into a steamer and steam for 10 minutes or until the garlic is soft.
- Prepare the tomatoes by quartering themand cut the garlic head horizontally in half, drizzle with olive oil and season with 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper, thyme springs and put them into a dish in the air fryer/ oven at 180C for 30 minutes and then blend to form a sauce adding the basil to the blender and a little water if needed.
- Place the steamed garlic cloves and spinach into a blender and blend to form smooth puree.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, allow them to cool slightly and then remove the skins and mash the potato in a large bowl(if you have a potato ricer that is ideal)
- To the mashed and still a little warm potato, place the yolks, puree, 1 tsp salt and ½ tsp pepper in a well in the centre of the potato, then add the flour.
- Using your hands, bring together the ingredients until just combined. Don’t over mix otherwise the gnocchi will be tough.
- Onto a lightly floured surface pat the dough to form a 2cm thick rectangle. Cut the dough into 2cm wide ribbons and then again to make 2cm pieces.
- Place a pot of water onto the boil and season generously with salt.
- While boiling, place the Flora Gold into a medium hot pan.
- Toss the gnocchi into salted boiling water and remove once the gnocchi have risen to the surface and fry in the pan.
- Once all is cooked and fried squeeze in the lemon juice