Strawberry Compote: 500ml frozen strawberries 60ml golden syrup 15ml lemon juice 15ml cornflour or potato flour Shortcake: 560ml flour 125ml sugar 180g Flora Plant BUTTER 1.25ml Salt 1 egg Gold Glitter
Preparation for 12 Squares
Strawberry Shortcake Bars
- Preheat the oven to 180C and line a baking sheet with greased baking paper.
- In a saucepan, place the strawberries, syrup, lemon juice and cornflour and stir until flour is mixed.
- Mash the strawberries, bring the mixture to the boil and then simmer for 10 -15 minutes.
- Place the flour, sugar, salt and butter in a food processor and blend until it forms breadcrumbs. Then add the egg and blend for another 10-20 seconds until it comes together to form a dough. reserve ½ cup of dough for the topping.
- Press the remaining dough evenly into the prepared baking ti and then chill for 15 minutes before baking for 10-15 minutes until golden brown.
- Spread the strawberry compote over the cooked shortcake layer.
- Sprinkle over the remaining dough and bake for a further 25 minutes.
- Allow to cool and then cut into 12 squares and sprinkle with gold glitter
- If you want to gift these, stack 4 squares and wrap in greaseproof paper and tie with ribbon.